Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Well, what better way is there to celebrate America's 4th of July than by visiting one of Germany's most historic, picturesque, walled, medieval cities--Rothenburg ob der Tauber!  Actually, a better way would have been to do so in decent weather as it was a record-breaking 100 degrees that day! Nevertheless, it was definitely worth the 2.5 hour drive each way--especially since we were in our air-conditioned car!  The city walls with 44 turrets were a great introduction!







And this gives you a perspective of the city walls from the inside.

Note the year construction began!

And now we enter this amazing city!!!

Wow!  We could not have expected anything to be more German, more medieval, more picturesque than this amazingly beautiful little town!  The narrow, curving streets were very quaint and made you wonder how a car--let alone two cars--could ever get by. 



There were newer homes inside the old walled city, 


and there were numerous homes outside the walls as well.

We loved how the streets are cobblestone and figured they must last a whole lot longer than our cheap asphalt spread thinly over gravel.  Apparently, some of the city was damaged during WWII, but it was restored to the original as closely as possible.



Businesses were so quaint!


These next couple of pictures are of the town center, with the town hall being the big building in the background with the arches.  We both just loved seeing the famous "half-timbered" architecture on so many of the buildings.



Note the clock above and then the two characters in the windows below.  They represent the medieval town mayor and the "evil town bully" who challenged him to a drink-off centuries ago.  If the mayor could down an inordinate amount of wine, his fellow townsmen would be saved; otherwise, they would all die.  Since he was able to save the town, this event is celebrated hourly
by a mechanical "toast" from the two participants.

 I have to point out the tower in the picture above since I climbed every single hundred and fifty+ narrow, spiraled, wooden stairs to the 200-foot-high top!  Actually, when I got to the difficult-to-reach top floor, I was surprised to find  a lady sitting there at a cash register in a little cubby-hole.  She was collecting 2 Euros before one could proceed any further up a ladder through the hole in the ceiling, which then led to the view-area outside!  I chickened out at first as I couldn't figure out how I'd come back down once I got outside and was standing up.  However, after watching a few people come back down the ladder backwards, I figured I could overcome my fears.  
The view was soooo worth it!






 And here's my first dorky attempt at a selfie, hoping to prove that I really made it!!!

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

We ate lunch outside in front of this place, the former home of the town's master builder.  Too bad the ornate detail doesn't show up very well.


I always love looking at European churches and am thinking of "collecting" them.  While in Japan, I collected a "plethora of pictures" of gates to peoples' yards.  I think while in Europe I will collect photos of churches and steeples since I find them so intriguing.



Elder G and I loved this vine-covered doorway with the beautiful flowers.  Reminds me of those photos of Europe you can buy in Park City!  And now I have my own!


 These next couple of pics are for the grandkids:  one HUGE teddy bear, 

 and a knight in less-than-shining armor!

 I wanted Ben & the boys to see the swords and cross-bows for sale
--much like those they have made.

One stop every tourist must make is at the world-famous Kathe Wohlfahrt Christkindlmarkt.  http://wohlfahrt.com/en/  I didn't know I wasn't supposed to take pictures inside, so I got in a few before I had to stop.  It's hard to imagine a shop that went on room after room after room--each room with decorations and ornaments of a different theme.  It was almost "too much," but still, something you must see while you're in town.  It was so big that the store continues on across the street!




Jim really liked their old Christmas-wagon advertisement out front.

Well, here is one of our favorite shots, taken as we were on our way out. 
Farewell, Rothenburg!  Auf wiedersehen!  Goodbye...for now!!!









2 comments:

  1. So fun! What a beautiful area! It's perfectly German. :) But, really, it is all fantastic. The kids liked "their" pictures. :) Those swords are very similar to what we made last year - fun. Next time, try smiling in your "selfie." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (i saw this at work but then i couldn't post from there. blah.) so cool! those red roofs look like when charlie in the great glass elevator flies over his town. very euro!

    ReplyDelete